What You Need to Know About Mold
Mold can be a problem in your home, even if you can't see it or smell it. Mold and mildew infestations are common in humid climates. Various microscopic organisms can grow even in the desert Southwest. As a result, it may cause allergic reactions, and respiratory infections, and affect indoor air quality. Read on to learn more.
Why it Matters
Mold growth is primarily triggered by heat, humidity, and moist surroundings, so a leaky shower pan or a persistent drip should always be taken seriously. Spores are found under sinks and in laundry rooms. There is also the possibility of mold growing on the foundation of a home, on wooden decks, fences, or even on concrete or stone where there is poor drainage or where there is a dark, moist environment. In reality, it's the unseen mold that constitutes the threat. If your home smells musty, it might be that mold is growing and causing health problems as well as structural damage.
All Mold Is Not the Same
Mold is not attractive, but there are many different kinds with various scientific names and characteristics. Food is typically contaminated with blue or green mold; however, orange or red mold that grows outdoors is generally harmless to humans. On the other hand, toxic black mold, which grows indoors in dark, damp environments, can affect air quality and cause serious health complications. Some of the signs that you may have a mold problem include red, watery eyes, recurring headaches, sore throats, unexplained breathing problems, and chronic illness. There are times when it's hard to distinguish between mold and dirt. Usually, a dab of bleach on a dark spot will provide an answer: mold will lighten or turn white, white dirt remains dark. If this does not work, professional testing may be necessary.
Detecting and Eliminating Mold
Mold should be removed once it has been found. Generally, common mildew begins as small black spots that then spread into unsightly patches. Mold spores typically "take root" along tile grout lines, in damp, dark surroundings, or on wood surfaces. Remember that both mold and mildew live. Microorganisms that promote the decomposition of organic material are known as decomposers. While surface mildew won't harm your home, mold behind a wall can cause structural problems to support wood and sheetrock. When there is a musty smell in a home, it is likely that mold is present and should be treated professionally. A good rule to follow is, "if you can smell it, you need to treat it." Toxic black mold needs to be treated by professionals.
How to Prevent Mold from Forming
After you have eradicated the cause, you should prevent it from returning. Regular cleaning with soap and water and prompt action are the best preventive measures. As long as you treat the mold and repair the conditions that encourage it to grow, you will prevent it from recurring. Water leaks and drips from faucets must be repaired as soon as possible, and dark, damp areas of the home must be dried out and exposed to light. Keeping your home healthy - including monitoring the indoor air - is important to your family's well-being. A DIY mold test kit can be purchased at a hardware store. Air testing can be time-consuming and inconclusive. With the help of a company that is trained and equipped to identify, treat, and mitigate the damage caused by mold, you can ensure your peace of mind, your family's health, and the safety of your home. Get in touch with us now by visiting www.discountdryout.com
We are licensed, insured, and certified
"First time dealing with home repairs and contractors was a good experience. Mr. Huckaby kept me Informed about any changes and possible delays. For the most part, his crew was on time and worked consistently on my house trying to finish as quickly as possible. Great job!!" Rita Arnold | Houston TX
MELVYN E HUCKABY II
Lead Claims Consultant, IICRC Certified Technician
Office Manager/Marketing Assistant